Sunday, April 17, 2011

Game of Thrones

 

Tonight, winter arrives! I've been waiting what seems forever for the HBO series of Game of Thrones to start. The series is based on George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire multi book series.  The plan is for each year to do one book.

I await tonight with quite a bit of trepidation. Can it possibly live up to the hype?  Will the haters read that crappy NYTimes review and tune out?  Can fantasy be accorded respect? I mean, what the hell is fantasy anyway?  I'd call the Sopranos and Deadwood fantasy, myself. They certainly are 'takes' on reality, but not reality.

So, why do I love ASOIAF or Game of Thrones? Let me count the ways.

 

1. Arya Stark. - If there ever was a little engine that could, it is Arya Stark, whose only good Needlework is with a sword. She's a tomboy and feisty as crap, and you want to cheer aloud for her.  Her life turns to crap, but she never ever gives up.

2. Bastards! - Of several kinds.

- Tyrion Lannister: A dwarf son who is hated and reviled by his father.

- Jon Snow: A bastard son brought up in comfort by his father, but reviled by his father's wife. He has no choice but to set off on his own if he's ever to make something of himself.  

- Bronn - A sellsword with a tongue and an attitude.

3. No one is safe. Literally. Anyone can die. Actions have consequences, even a mere roll in the hay (see above bastard Jon Snow as an example).  

4. Alliances and allegiances are ever changing and you can't trust anyone - well nearly everyone.  As Jamie Lannister puts it, paraphrased:  So many promises, so many conflicting oaths, which one can I keep?

5. The threat of magic reappearing in a world where no one believes it even exists.

6. So many bloody (heh) surprises! You just can never guess how something will play out. Really!  Promise!

Please watch it if you can. I hope it will be great. I believe it will be, and have fingers crossed for the entire book series to be seen in splendor on HBO.

I'll do episode reviews too.

 

No comments: