Monday, January 26, 2015

6. A Dark-Adapted Eye–Barbara Vine

Genre: Historical Mystery

Rating: Very Good

I had no idea when I began reading this that this book would dredge up so many childhood memories. I’m sure the pain of revisiting some of that colors my thoughts regarding it, but I will say that the book was riveting, emotional, and very much a story that could only happen during the timeframe it is set. Times have changed, attitudes are different, circumstances would be very different at other times.

It is the story of a murder, dredged up from the narrator’s past, when a writer contacts the family and wants to write a book about the murder and the circumstances of the murderer’s life.

The narrator, Faith, revisits what she knows, what she didn’t learn until too late, what she thinks is true, and how it is that the truth is never clear or logical.

Very much a psychological tale, examining all the characters in an extended family and how secrets and lies lead up to misery and hatred.

My personal experience is that lies and family secrets most certainly do that.

No comments: