Friday, January 21, 2011










Yay. Book two for the year finished. Well worth reading and I'll have to read the rest of the Quartet now.

Review:  (posted at LibraryThing)

What a fun yarn! Good storytelling, great characterizations and an interesting world.

I initially had some issues with POV changes that seemed too abrupt and happened more often than I'd like and I also found transitions from current events to stream-of-consciousness flashbacks a bit jarring at a few points, but otherwise I enjoyed it very much..

I liked the cultural reactionary themes, particularly with respect to humans altering their bodies for differing environments and lifestyles. I can sooooo see that happening.

Also,she explores the militarization of space controversy which again I can see as a major issue if we ever do decide to come up with the resources to explore beyond our planet, especially where one powerful country might try to take control of the project for its own political and militaristic agenda.

There were some interesting twists that complicated the storyline and I found myself rooting for most of the main characters.

Highly recommended for those interested in space exploration and the issues surrounding the Earth's political climate with regard to expenditure of scarce resources for such a challenge. )

No comments: